Ground Hog Day-2007 (The Day I Retired)




I did it!!! I actually retired on Ground Hog Day the way I said I would. And boy what a wild time it was. Where else could you get fireworks, TV cameras and thousands of people gathered before dawn to watch...a groundhog.

Certainly one of the more humble creatures God ever made, this is what I think of when someone says words like critter and varmint.


And yet there we all were, cheering and booing at all the appropriate times waiting for 'the great prognosticator' to have his moment in the sun or in this year's case, no sun. There we all were making a big deal of a day whose significance is obscure at best. A uniquely American holiday in a quintessentially American town. Ground Hog Day. When I chose to come out from under my personal rock...and see the sun